Emmy Award-winning South Florida Today.
After the sale of PBS Affiliate WXEL Television, all South Florida Today video tape was destroyed, making room for the new digital world. More than 3,000 stories and programs were sent to the dumpster leaving no copies behind. I’m Allan Mason, Sr. Producer of the show. Our mission was to discover the inside of our community… One story at a time. I kept an archive of selected shows and stories in order to preserve this Emmy Award-Winning show. My web site, PBSproducer.com offers the following SFT clips. NOTE: Use the scroll bar (lower right side of video) to see more selections.
It wasn’t until federal funding was reduced that underwriting information in the form on a commercial was allowed to evolve. It used to be “the following program is brought to you by Exxon – building a better tomorrow… Today.”
Not many know that World Business Review
• Started with Casper Winberger on September 5, 1996
• In 1998 field reports became a big part on their coverage.
• In 2000 Alexander Haig took over as host.
• In 2002 show production moved to WXEL in Boynton Beach.
• In 2003 WBR was forced to move to CNBC. Because the show was charging their guest to appear on the show which was clearly a conflict of interest.
• In 2006 Haig’s health became an issue and Norman Schwartzkoph was considered for a replacement.
From 2004 until 2006, I was the technical director for Alexander Haig’s World Business Review. February 20, 2010 was the day Haig died.
The future of public broadcasting. Today there’s the Discovery Channel… One and two. The History Channel… One and two. The Learning Channel and other educational program providers. Some say mission accomplished. Viewers say “there be educational programming here… And lots of it.” But who asks “Why fund non-commercial stations when commercial networks provide the same educational programming for profit?” Probably the same folks claiming the financial influence will corrupt the purity of the PBS message.
What matters is what you, the audience decides. You are indeed… The voter.